header

So What's Next?

So What's Next?

Postby Darq » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:13 pm

Just found this KS last week - sorry it didn't work out. What can be done to keep the ball rolling and build some momentum for your next attempt? Have you considered putting out a PDF quickstart rules set with an adventure? That would be a great way to get the word around. Get some local fans to run games at nearby Cons.

I know you were looking at iOS / Android platforms for your app (I like the next gen idea of synergizing the game with application support btw) have you considered Win support? I use a tablet PC and usually write apps like these for myself to run games with, so I certainly see the appeal.

Hope you guys don't get too discouraged by this :D Looks like a fun project.

Rock and Rule!

Darq
Darq

Re: So What's Next?

Postby jabber » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Darq wrote:Just found this KS last week - sorry it didn't work out. What can be done to keep the ball rolling and build some momentum for your next attempt? Have you considered putting out a PDF quickstart rules set with an adventure? That would be a great way to get the word around. Get some local fans to run games at nearby Cons.

I know you were looking at iOS / Android platforms for your app (I like the next gen idea of synergizing the game with application support btw) have you considered Win support? I use a tablet PC and usually write apps like these for myself to run games with, so I certainly see the appeal.

Hope you guys don't get too discouraged by this :D Looks like a fun project.

Rock and Rule!

Darq

Hey there, Darq!

The quick-start is a great idea, actually, and one I'll look into implementing for our next attempt.

As for Windows, we'll have to see what kind of support there is for Windows phones in the future. I know it was going to cost me a bit extra to move it over to iOS, but I'm not sure what the difficulties and costs are for translation over to Windows. Still, it will happen eventually, even if it didn't happen right away.

We are definitely not discouraged. In fact, I'm turning this failed Kickstarter into a grad school project analyzing what exactly worked and what didn't and then applying what I've learned to a new Kickstarter (for our boardgame For Glory!!!) late September. I'm a lemonade kinda guy... :D
jabber
Site Admin

Postby Darq » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:56 pm

That's the ticket!

Some more suggestions:
+Contact the folks that did pledge - get them here to the forums! Build your community!
+Get some content on your web site! You need a downloads section, you need a Character Sheet for Barbarians of the Apocalypse and Barbarians of Heavy Metal (Yes I know your direction is your aps, but not everyone will want to go there. A PnP Character sheet gives people something to play with), maybe some maps, NPCs, adventures!!!!
+What about a cut down free version of your ap?
+Lemme know if you need any more Beta groups for BoHM - My group is playing WotD right now, but we have some metal heads - my guess is they would love some one offs in your universe.

Aloha
Darq

Postby jabber » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:30 am

Darq wrote:That's the ticket!

Some more suggestions:
+Contact the folks that did pledge - get them here to the forums! Build your community!
+Get some content on your web site! You need a downloads section, you need a Character Sheet for Barbarians of the Apocalypse and Barbarians of Heavy Metal (Yes I know your direction is your aps, but not everyone will want to go there. A PnP Character sheet gives people something to play with), maybe some maps, NPCs, adventures!!!!
+What about a cut down free version of your ap?
+Lemme know if you need any more Beta groups for BoHM - My group is playing WotD right now, but we have some metal heads - my guess is they would love some one offs in your universe.

Aloha

The website will be slowly growing. I will be designing a Demo Kit with pregen characters, titans and a small adventure (as per your suggestion) this month, so that will be up for download first. I also plan to create a print and play demo version of our boardgame, For Glory!!! so that should also come up for download within the next month.

As for the app, we are planning to do a cut down version with only the character stuff stuff, no Titans, no GM tools, but that will take a little more development time. We still need to implement the music and equipment screens for that, but its a distinct possibility for the Spring.

We will definitely be setting up a playtesting group for each game, so watch this space for further announcements!
jabber
Site Admin

Postby Darq » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:31 pm

Been a month and a half! Throw me a bone!
Darq

Postby Darq » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Been 3 months... queue the crickets...
Darq

Postby nka2112 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Can we get something please? Preferably with character creation as an option too, as I had a great idea for a campaign involving the death of the old ones (inspired by Lou Reed's recent passing).
nka2112

Postby jabber » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:39 pm

Darq wrote:Been 3 months... queue the crickets...

Sorry about the silence. Along with my Thesis and Crowdsourcing class, I've been fighting a massive, Mongolian horde of spam bots and hadn't noticed the new posts. I even had to delete the General folder and rebuild it to get rid of the final 800+ topics started by people who need to have their fingers removed. And when I say people, I mean 'Blights on Humanity.' I think I've finally won the war, though (haven't had a spambot register in over a week), so here's the skinny.

Barbarians of Heavy Metal had to go on the backburner for my current project list. It is still on the to-do, but graduation in December is my top priority and that means school related projects have 3/4 of my attention (http://jabberwocky-media.com/?p=117) and a quick turnover RPG project for making ends meet (http://jabberwocky-media.com/?p=154) has the other 1/4.

As I mentioned, BoHM is not forgotten, but, it won't be revisited until late Spring of next year. By that point, I should have some more mainstream material successfully funded and released, so that the rather niche project that is BoHM will get more attention. The biggest problems with the last KS were its very niche nature, my lack of name and the resistance to the app. Because of the latter, the next one will likely be just the book, not the app, so that I can get it out there, and then do a KS for the app alone based upon the success of that book alone (if it is successful). I also need time to put together a good demo of it, and right now my time is taken up with making demos of my school projects, so that will have to wait until after graduation.

The next time BoHM goes up, I want it to succeed, and that means making sure all my ducks are in a row before doing so. It isn't dead, just a few more months in the future...
jabber
Site Admin

Postby Darq » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:11 am

Well Pre-Grats on graduating! Ok I will cut you some slack for a bit, But when you take this thing on next time, remember your Kickstarter is a HUGE marketing tool for your game and your company. One of the biggest mistakes I see Kickstarters do is they sit back and nap post funding. You have a group of people forming a new community on Kickstarter, bantering back and forth in the comments, reaching out to their friends to help get you funded and generally marketing your product FOR you.

DON'T THROW THAT OPPORTUNITY AWAY! After the Kickstarter ends, you need to transfer the energy, the community to your site and KEEP IT GOING!

1) Your site needs to be prepared to handle them right away - it won't wait a week. They will come and if there is nothing for them most won't come back (fickle lot aren't we).
2) Be prepared to throw some bones out there in the weeks after funding - character sheets, songs, more info on classes etc.

My 2 Kopecks
Darq

Postby jabber » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:29 am

Point taken. For a while there though, the spam-storm was so great I couldn't possibly pick out any legitimate comments from the tons of illegitimate crap being foisted on my forum. It would have been like finding a needle in a spam-stack.

Here is a bit of news that might interest you, though: As a quick, non-crowd sourcing source of income, I'm doing a different (somewhat simpler and less niche) sci-fi game, Void Hunters, a science fiction game in the vein of Dungeon Crawl Classics, which I should have completed and ready to go by January. I am thinking of doing Barbarians of Heavy Metal as a setting for that as well as the BoL version next spring.

If you haven't already, check out the main website for information on what's happening with JM game design. The posts starting here should give a you a good idea of where we're going... http://jabberwocky-media.com/?p=117
jabber
Site Admin

Return to Barbarians of Heavy Metal